Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day





I want to thank my friends at Ideas for Scrapbookers for inviting me to be a guest designer this week. I created this sketch and the layout especially for them. Afterall - we all love this hobby with a passion like no other.

Please visit their blog for all kinds of ideas from some very talented designers who are only too happy to share their ideas with anyone who cares to stop by. Just tell then Liz sent you.

Cheap and Easy! I'm laughing to myself, because those are the words that came to mind when I created the tutorial for this layout, but then I had to pause and think, "Are those the words I would use to describe Valentine's Day?" Depending on what you plan to get out of the evening, those might be the exact words you would use to describe this momentous event - hee, hee.

Seriously though...cheap and easy is meant to describe the major design element on my layout which is a heart-shaped doily from Walmart, which I purchased for a whopping $2 and included 4 of the large white hearts and 8 of the smaller red ones. Just enough product to get me in trouble if you KWIM...



Materials:

  • Heart-shaped doily
  • Craft knife
  • Marker
  • Ink


First: Use your Craft knife to cut along the inside edge of the lace part of the doily.


Next: Use your marker to add some depth by tracing some of the lines in the doily.


Finally: Ink the edges of the lace to add some definition and lift when you add the doily to your page.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Love the layout and what a fantastic idea for using doilies. This would work well with any shape but love the effect with the heart shape!

Pat said...

Great tutorial! TFS

Sandi Clarkson said...

Wow, Liz, I love this sketch .. saw it yesterday on the other blog ... straight into my skech folder! Next Friday is the Stuck on U Sketches reveal day for the SOUS sketch you did! We can't wait!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Happy Valentine's day! I love how you used the doilies, what a clever idea!Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Check out my version of your sketch if you have a chance at:
http://beatrizguzman58.blogspot.com.
(Amazing Grace Blog)